The AbeBooks Community Forums (“Forums”) have been created to promote productive communication within our community of booklovers. AbeBooks buyers and booksellers are welcome to participate in our forums.
The Forums are intended to be helpful, informative and educational for all booklovers. When forum members follow the Policy and treat all other members with courtesy and respect, the Forums are a positive experience for everyone.
Messages posted on the Forums are the opinions of the posters, and do not represent AbeBooks.
AbeBooks reserves the right to remove posts at our discretion.
By using the Forums, you agree to abide by the Forum Policy. This Policy may be modified from time to time without notice. Violation of this Policy may result in your suspension or expulsion from the Forums.
1) Use of the Forums
The AbeBooks Community Forums are a public outlet for users of the AbeBooks websites (“Members”) to post their opinions. As such AbeBooks does not guarantee, warrant or verify the accuracy, quality, or integrity of the information presented. By using the Forums, you understand that you are solely liable for any and all information in any form that you upload, download, or otherwise transmit to the Forums.
2) Usage Guidelines
Usage of the AbeBooks Community Forums is governed by the Terms and Conditions of the website. By using the website, and the Forums, you acknowledge that you agree to these Terms and Conditions, and are eligible to use the website as described.
- Posts should be directly related to the specific thread and not stray off topic.
- Profanity and obscenities are not permitted.
- The posting of personal information, whether your own or that of another individual or entity, including phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, and URLs, is not permitted.
- The posting of email correspondence between yourself and another person or entity without that person or entity’s express permission is not permitted.
- Any information posted with commercial implications, including availability, price, or alternative ordering information, is not permitted, except in the “Classifieds” folder of the Bookseller Forum, where AbeBooks reserves the right to remove any content deemed “too commercial” or that does not hold to the values of the AbeBooks Community.
- Solicitations of any kind for external websites or products are not permitted. You may post links and URLs to sites of interest to the community, however AbeBooks reserves the right to remove content deemed “too commercial” or that does not hold to the values of the AbeBooks Community.
- The purpose of the AbeBooks Community Forums is for interaction with other members of the AbeBooks community of buyers and sellers, and as a source of information from Abebooks staff members. Direct help with site problems, your account, and your orders should continue to be accessed through the AbeBooks Help Center.
3) Prohibited Activities
The AbeBooks Community Forums may be used only for lawful purposes. We reserve the right to remove any content deemed, at our sole discretion, to be harmful in any way to our systems, network, reputation, goodwill, to other AbeBooks customers, or to any third party.
Prohibited activities include but are not limited to:
- The upload, download, or transmission of any content that would violate, or would facilitate the violation of, any applicable law, regulation, Abebooks rule or policy, or that encourages others to violate any laws, rules or policy.
- Posting another individual’s personal information, including email addresses.
- Posting profanity, vulgarity, or threats of violence.
- Posting comments that are abusive, harassing, or threatening.
- Posting graphics or text that is obscene, pornographic, or adult in nature.
- Attempting to impersonate AbeBooks staff members, AbeBooks booksellers, buyers, or any other entity.
- Ignoring or refusing to follow AbeBooks staff requests or instructions.
- Posting email content from private parties.
- Posting new threads in the inappropriate folder.
- Posting messages intended to bait other members or incite arguments, also known as ‘trolling’.
- Posting content that was copy/pasted from an external source, or links to such content, with no attempt to discuss or comment.
- Posting controversial subject matter with no context.
- Posting suspected examples of Bookseller Policy Violations. Please contact Customer Support directly.
- Discussing or reposting deleted posts or warning letters.
- Discussion of or speculation about forum members who have been banned or suspended from the forums.
- Posting messages on behalf of members that have been suspended or banned from the forums.
- Starting multiple threads on the same topic or similar topics.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any content that infringes the intellectual property rights or rights of others, including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, or trade secrets.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any harmful content, including, without limitation, viruses, Trojan horses, worms, or any other harmful computer programs that may damage or interfere with any system, program, data, or personal information.
- The upload, download, or transmission of any content for the purpose of distributing chain letters, pyramid schemes, or other similar solicitations.
- Abebooks reserves the right to remove domain names, URLs, or hyperlinks deemed “too commercial” or that do not hold to the values of the Abebooks Community.
4) Forum Moderation
The Forums are moderated by AbeBooks staff. Policy violations are defined at AbeBooks’ sole discretion.
AbeBooks reserves the right to:
- Delete or edit posts deemed to be in violation of the Forum Policies.
- If warranted, posts may be held and reviewed to verify they are not in violation of the Forum Policies before they are allowed to appear online.
- If a post held for review is rejected based on the content, AbeBooks will not engage in a discussion of the reasons for that rejection. To ensure future posts are approved, simply adhere to the policies above.
Users who violate the Forum Policies can expect the following from AbeBooks staff:
- Posts found to be in violation will be edited or deleted by the Forum Moderator.
- Repeat violations will result in an official Warning email from AbeBooks.
- Continued Policy violations will result in a six month suspension of Forum privileges.
- Repeat violations upon reinstatement will result in a permanent ban from all AbeBooks Forums.
In the event of extreme violations, users may be permanently banned and/or blocked from all AbeBooks Forums without warning or notification, at AbeBooks’ sole discretion.
5) How to Report a Violation
If you feel a post violates our Forum Policies and would like to request its removal, please use the ‘Report Concern’ link in the [Options] menu at the bottom of the post.
You will be asked to select a reason for reporting the post and there will be an opportunity to add your comments (optional). Click [Report Violation] when you are done.
A Guide to Using the AbeBooks Forums
Forum Folder Definitions
Reporting Forum Policy Violations