There is a two-part process for copying your inventory from AbeBooks into HomeBase 3.0: Downloading and Importing.
Step 1: Downloading
- Sign on to your AbeBooks account.
- Select ‘Request Inventory Report (for HomeBase 2.3 – North American format)’ from the ‘My Downloads’ section of the members menu. Then click [Initiate File Download]. An email will be sent to you once the file has been created.
- When you receive the email saying the file is ready, sign on to your account again and click the [Download Pending Files] link.
- Right-click [Click here to download the latest HomeBase import file], and choose [Save Target As] if using Internet Explore, or [Save Link As] if using Firefox. The “Save As” screen will display the default file name – “HBImport.txt”. Select the location on your computer where you want this file saved. (If you’re using Internet Explorer, make sure that the “Save as Type” field is .txt and not .html.)
- Click [Save], then [Close].
Step 2: Importing
- Open Homebase 3.0.
- Select ‘File.’
- Select ‘Import.’
- Select ‘Import from a different file type’ and click [Next].
- Select ‘Import Listings’ and click on [Next].
- Use the [Browse] button to locate saved import file and click [Next].
- In most cases, you will not need to change the ‘File Encoding.’ If you don’t know, don’t change it.
- Click [Next].
- Select the ‘HomeBase 2’ file format and click [Next].
- Choose whether to use your existing Book ID numbers or have HomeBase create new numbers. Click [Next].
- Choose whether to merge new listings with existing or delete existing and replace with new. Click [Next].
- If you’ve used any custom attributes, you will be prompted to match them to an AbeBooks attribute. Choose ‘not mapped’ to skip this step. Click [Next].
- Confirm import actions. Use the back arrow to make any changes. Click [Next] to continue.
- Click [Finish] when the import has completed.
You can now view your Listings by clicking on the ‘Listings’ tab at the top of the screen.