Austrian Tax Amendment Law

Please note this information does not constitute any legal or tax advice.

The Austrian Tax Amendment Law 2020 requires all sellers who have a VAT obligation in Austria to provide their Austrian VAT number, or Tax ID, or their EU VAT number when opted into Union-OSS, to AbeBooks by January 1, 2022 to avoid any interruption of service. This information must be up to date as it is reported to the Austrian Tax Authority on a yearly basis. 

While there are many actions that generate an Austrian VAT registration requirement, three of the most common for sellers on AbeBooks are:

  • You are established in Austria, ship goods to Austrian customers from Austria, and your total sales per year across all sales channels exceeds €30,000.
  • You are established outside Austria and store goods in Austria for sale to customers.
  • You ship goods from other EU countries to Austria and your total sales exceed €10,000 per year across all sales channels

If you have registered for VAT in Austria but only received an Austrian Tax ID (“steuernummer”) from the authorities, please contact AbeBooks Customer Support.

If you are not VAT obligated in Austria, you can provide your primary VAT registration number and confirm that any VAT numbers previously provided in your AbeBooks account are accurate and valid.

Submitting your VAT number

You can submit your tax registration numbers directly through your Members Menu:

  1. Sign into your seller account using your verified email address and password,
  2. Click on Account Details under the ‘My Personal Information’ header,
  3. Click Tax Registration Numbers on the ‘Manage my account’ page,
  4. Click Add a tax registration number to add a new tax ID or Edit to update any existing IDs,
  5. Submit your changes once completed.

Please ensure the information provided is correct and valid. AbeBooks cannot enter this information on your behalf.

How do I obtain an Austrian VAT registration number?

You submit an application form to the Austrian Tax Office. If you are a legally-established seller in Austria, your local tax office will issue your Austrian VAT registration number. If you are established outside Austria, the Graz-Stadt tax office will issue your Austrian VAT registration number. Further information can be found on the Austrian Tax Authority website.

What should I do if I am not required to be VAT registered in Austria?

If you are not required to be VAT registered in Austria, you can upload a VAT registration number from another EU country on our Tax Registration Numbers page. For example, if you have a German VAT number, you can upload it to the Germany section if it has not already been provided.