Sometimes booksellers cancel an order. There are several possible reasons – the book may have just sold to another customer in the seller’s bookstore or just sold on another web site. Very occasionally, booksellers operating warehouses may experience logistics issues.
An order in ‘Cancelled’ status is unrelated to a credit card being declined.
AbeBooks assigns its booksellers a rating of up to five stars and cancelled orders negatively affect their rating.
If your order has been cancelled, you can contact the seller to inquire about the cancelation. Please use our ‘Ask Bookseller a Question’ feature so we have a record of your inquiry.
To view your order status and ask the bookseller a question:
- Click [My Account] and then click [View My Purchases].
- Find the order in the list and click [Contact Bookseller].
Orders are assigned various statuses during the process. These statuses are displayed within your account:
- Ordered – Your order has been forwarded to the bookseller for processing. You will receive an email when the order is confirmed.
- Availability Confirmed – You will see this status if you’ve elected to pay the bookseller directly by an alternate payment method. The bookseller has confirmed your order and will contact you to arrange payment. The seller will ship the item upon receipt of payment, however the status will not change to ‘shipped’.
- Shipped – your credit card payment has been processed and the book has been shipped to you.
- Cancelled – The order was cancelled at your request. You were not charged and the item was not shipped.
- Credit Card Declined – Your credit card was declined. You were not charged and the item was not shipped.
- Item Unavailable – The book was no longer available when the bookseller received your order. The order is cancelled, you were not charged, and the item was not shipped.
- Unknown – occasionally, two buyers order the same book almost simultaneously. The first one submitted will result in a successful order, making the book unavailable to the second buyer. This results in an ‘Unknown’ status, which means the book is unavailable and the order is cancelled.